2008年2月27日水曜日

My hometown




Last weekend, I went back to my home town, Hyogo prefecture. It is located at next to Osaka prefecture. Hyogo prefecture seems urban place, because there is a Kobe city. However my home town is totally different from Kobe city. There are a several houses, small number of people, surrounded by mountains and many rice fields. My home town is rural, and there are full of lands, so almost all family has two houses. One is for grandparents; the other is for young couples such as their son’s family.




My home town has much snow in winter, so almost all houses have garage which has a roof.


And also in front of my house, there is a narrow road and as you can see, the road is really rough. So people change their normal car tire to snow tire before winter. A car cannot meet another car on the road. However, a car seldom passes the road. So children ski in the road.



In addition, almost all family has their own rice field. So people make snowman, yukidaruma (雪だるま)in Japanese, or Kamakura there. My home town’s scenery is so wonderful especially winter. My home is like a row of houses and streets in old Japan and way of living is also quite old fashion, for example, there is no conbini, karaoke, and shopping mall, so I can feel relax and I can play in the natural environment, whenever I came back home. It is really fascinating.

2 件のコメント:

Brad Rice さんのコメント...

When a family has two houses, are they on the same plot of land (i.e. right next to each other), or are they separated (in different sections of the town)?

visual gonthros さんのコメント...

Much of what you wrote reminded me of the winters in rural Michigan where I grew up. So the question here is, how does this post represent Japanese culture? You drop hints here and there that probably deserve more explanation (see Dick's comment/question). I'd like to learn more about the Kamakura that you link to.

With so much focus on urban Japan, it is nice to see a post about rural areas. I'd like to see and read more.

-scf